I'm know I'm going backwards in time a little with this post, sorry! I'll add pictures later. :)
Well, Karli's first day of kindergarten will definitely be one we won't forget. We set it up at her ARD this past spring for the bus to pick her up from home to take her to school and then after school the bus takes her to daycare. She stays at daycare for about an hour until I get off of work. Transportation called a couple of times in the weeks leading up to school to verify things so I wasn't worried. Her bus driver called and left a message with the time she would be picking Karli up, but in the message she said she looked forward to meeting "him". Everyone slips from time to time so it wasn't a big deal, but just to be on the safe side we called the bus barn to verify the time. The dispatcher said the driver must have looked down to another child's name after she started leaving the message, but that she would be there to pick Karli up at 8:01 just like the message had said.
That morning we got Karli up and got her dressed early so I could take some pictures and not be rushed. 8:01 came and went. At 8:10 we call the bus barn and they say the busses are just running late to keep waiting. This is understandable for the first day, so we were o.k. with that. 8:20 came and went, then 8:30. So, we call back again and they start radioing for the driver. They said she would be there in 3 minutes. Finally at 8:45 I got Karli in the car and drove her to school as we called the bus barn back again to find out where the bus was. School starts at 8:20 and I HATE being late, so I was really frazzled by this point. Karli was disappointed she didn't get to ride the bus, but was overall o.k. thank goodness.
We got to school and explained what happened and walked her back to her classroom. Her teachers took her and she went and sat down with the other kids and never looked back! She was just happy to be at school.
I was so frazzled by everything that went on I never even cried that morning, I ended up being more mad that we were "robbed" of her first day experience because of the mix up with the bus. We never did find out what happened, but the director of special ed transportation called about an hour after we took her to school and sincerely apologized for the mix up and assured us the bus would be at our house the next morning. We appreciated this since she called us on her own to apologize. Since then we've had no problems other than the 8:01 they originally told us has turned out to be more like 8:10, but at least they're consistent now! That little bit of time difference really isn't a big deal other than it makes a difference when I'm sitting in traffic on my way to work! I really love being able to stay at home with Karli in the mornings now and have that extra time with her that I didn't have before. Up until now, she's been dropped off at 6:30 at daycare. I'm having to work at home now at night and on the weekends some to make up the time I'm missing, but it's worth it. :)
Editing to add a couple of pictures :)
| Where's my bus? |
| This is technically the second day, but the first day on the bus :) |

No comments:
Post a Comment