There is no way we could figure out how to continue this while trying to get her to wear the Cpap, so we've been taking our portable DVD player into her room and letting her watch a movie until she falls asleep.
Since we really got her started on this about a month ago, she's had good nights and bad nights. The good news is that she actually asks to wear her "Elephant Mask" and watch a movie. So we have no problems getting her to put it on. An average night is that she'll wear it for a couple of hours and then take it off and climb into bed after refusing to put it back on. On a good night (like tonight....well so far anyway) she falls asleep after about 20 minutes and will get a good couple of hours in. An example of a bad night (at least I call it that), she wore the mask, but stayed up to watch 1 1/2 movies. I finally had to just take it off of her and let her go to sleep because she's getting less sleep now than before we started this. She was really wanting to watch the movie and didn't want to go to sleep.
Her best night was when Randon was out of town on a Thursday night and I really wanted to watch "Grey's Anatomy" (it was the night Alex & Izzie got married). I brought the machine into our room and set her up in our bed so I could watch tv. She was asleep by 7:15 and slept with the machine on until 11:45. When she's asleep with it on, she doesn't move AT ALL. So I know she's sleeping well.
So, our dilemma is this. Do we put a tv in her room? It would only be for the purposes of the Cpap. What I'm hoping happens is if we do put it in there, that she'll fall asleep consistently every night with the machine on and then we can gradually phase the tv out. We want to get to where she puts the machine on and goes to sleep without needing the tv and we can then take the tv out of her room completely.
I'm so proud of her for doing as well as she is with it but at the same time I wish we could be making more progress more quickly. She's been asleep almost an hour with it on now, hopefully she'll stay asleep for a while longer before she's through with it for the night!

1 comment:
Wow! All in all, I think she's doing amazing! I am so proud of you for being so diligent with getting her to wear it. I miss you guys!
Post a Comment